Tax Help Program
If you need help lodging your tax return, you may be eligible for the Tax Help program.
Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained and accredited community volunteers who provide a free and confidential service to help people complete their tax returns online using myTax.
Tax Help is available from July to October in all capital cities and many regional areas across Australia.
Am I eligible for Tax Help?
You are eligible for Tax Help in 2016–17 if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year and you did not:
- work as a contractor, for example a contract cleaner or taxi driver
- run a business, including as a sole trader
- have partnership or trust matters
- sell shares or an investment property
- own a rental property
- have capital gains tax (CGT)
- receive royalties
- receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
- receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity.
What can volunteers help me with?
Volunteers can help you lodge your tax return or amendment online or claim a refund of franking credits.
If our volunteers work out that you don’t need to lodge a tax return, they can help you complete a non-lodgment advice.
Book an appointment
If you’re eligible for Tax Help, you will need a myGov account linked to the ATO. If necessary, our volunteers can help you create your myGov account and link to the ATO.
When you are ready to make an appointment, phone us on 13 28 61 for your nearest Tax Help centre.
Remember to bring these to your appointment:
- your myGov user ID and password
- your bank account details (BSB and account number)
- your tax file number
- an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
- income statements from all sources
- all your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
- details of any child support payments made
- details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses)
- If you had a spouse (married or de-facto) at any time during the financial year, you also need to bring details of their taxable income or a reasonable estimate.